What is Metal Stamping?
Metal stamping is the technique used to form pieces and parts from sheet metal. These formed parts are cut, punched, or shaped using metal stamping machines. The sheet metal, or blank, is placed between a die and a punch. The outside shape of the part will be defined by the die whereas the inside will be based on the punch. Metal stamping can produce complex parts with extreme precision.
Metal stamping has many advantages over other traditional processes such as forging or die casting:
- The process can be automated creating consistent quality across the entire production run.
- Blanks can be of ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- Stamping has lower production costs as stamping dies are inexpensive and last longer.
- Metal stamped products can be as strong and durable as forged or cast parts.
- Lighter parts can be produced by using stamping processes.
Because of the array of advantages, metal stamping is used across several industries such as Aerospace, Oil and Gas, and Agriculture.
Fox Valley Stamping has been in business since 1965 providing customers with innovative short run stamping, laser cutting, and metal fabrication solutions. Our metal working specialist can help you determine if metal stamping is the best option for your next project. Contact us today for your free quote.